Matched

Matched
Crib Goch NY Eve 2008

Saturday 15 January 2011

Trains and boats and planes.....




Well after having to go through security to visually pick out our luggage and an 18 hour sleep being bitten by mosquitoes, we arrive in a very hot and humid Singapore. We spent a really hectic 2 days here as we were trying to sort out our Thai visa (unsuccessfulin sorting extension from 15 day land entry), buy a train ticket to Thailand, buy a climbing rope from the one shop we found on the internet and to post unwanted bits and pieces home.So, although this was no sightseeing tour, we did get to travel across the city quite a bit. What a contrast to Nepal. How clean is this place, modern and super efficient! It reminded me a bit of Tokyo, but possibly less people and less suits.
Oh, but the food in the hawker markets was amazing and cheap.We had choices that ranged from pig's organ soup, frog's leg porridge to fried balck carrot cake (very popular judging by the long ques). It put our William's poo pudding to shame!
The journey was to take us to Kuala Lumpa in Malaysia, where, after a 6 hour wait we were to get onto the night train to Hat Yai over the Thai border.So the big rucksacs were put into luggage store and we got the monorail in KL into their China Town for more delicious food from hawker stalls.
The sleeper was fantastic (see pics) and I was settling myself in for a very comfortable night's sleep when suddenly sitting in my bunk I was covered in glass! I must admit to being a bit stunned as it took a few seconds to realise what had happened. I thought I was badly damaged and was just experiencing shock (not the medical type mum)whilst waiting for the blood to pour. Greg was a star and kept his cool talking me down from my bunk very methodically. When I moved I found a huge rock in my lap which some nice person on the outskirts of KL had decided to give me as a leaving present!Check out the pictures.We were moved to another bunk and actually slept a good night's sleep in the end. I was pretty freaked out though as my face was peering out of that window only a few seconds before.
The rest of the journey went pretty smoothly apart from a 3 hour wait for a new engine.
Oh yes the boat bit is the longboat ride from Krabi to Ralei Beach - more on this to follow.
Liz x

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Blimey, glad all was well in the end on that train journey - so its not so bad on Merseyrail after all! Well done for uploading the images and taking the time to label them all. Great to see you having so many varied opportunities on the trip so far - pretty daring with the paragliding; and wow, the beach cragging looks fantastic. Cheers Neal

    ReplyDelete